Safety and Efficacy of Melatonin in Children
A review of the studies on the many applications of melatonin in pediatrics
By Jaclyn Chasse, ND
About The Author
Jaclyn Chasse, ND is a medical educator at Emerson Ecologics and a practicing naturopathic physician in New Hampshire. She also holds an adjunct faculty position at Bastyr University. Chasse is a graduate of Bastyr University and has an undergraduate degree in biochemistry and molecular biology. She has coauthored several scientific journal articles in the field of medical biophysics. Chasse has undergone extensive training in women’s health, pediatrics, and infertility, including an internship at the Jocelyn Centre for infertility in Sydney, Australia. Her clinical practice focuses on these specialties. Chasse has been very involved throughout her professional career in improving healthcare access and education. As a medical student, she cofounded the Naturopathic Medical Student Association, the only affiliate organization of the AANP representing medical students. She currently serves as the president of the New Hampshire Association of Naturopathic Doctors and has been an active member in the AANP since 2003.
Most importantly, the body of evidence reviewed highly suggests that melatonin administration is very safe, even in the youngest children.
1. Owens JA, Rosen CL, Mindell JA. Medication use in the treatment of pediatric insomnia: results of a survey of community-based pediatricians. Pediatrics. 2003;111(5):e628-635.
2. Hoebert M, van der Heijden KB, van Geijlswijk IM, Smits MG. Long-term follow-up of melatonin treatment in children with ADHD and chronic sleep-onset insomnia. J Pineal Research. 2009;47(1):1-7.
3. Reiter R, Blask DE, Talbot JA, Barnett MP. Nature and the time course of seizures associated with surgical removal of the pineal gland from parathyroidectomized rats. Exp Neurol. 1973;38:386-397.
4. Fariello R, Bubenik GA, Brown GM, Grota LJ. Epileptogenic action of intraventricularly injected antimelatonin antibody. Neurology. 1997;27(6):267-270.
5. Illerova H, Buresová M, Presl J. Melatonin rhythm in human milk. J Clin Endoc Metab. 1993;77(3):838-841.